07/03/2017 Proposal on non local DSCs

Chair Wessel
Minute taker: Pedrojuán
Recording: DiD meeting 07-03-2017.wav

Attendees: Phil, Lauri S, Wessel, Giovanni, Pedrojuán

Next meeting march 21st 7p.m. CET
Chair: To be decided.

1.- Signing communications with our names
Triggered by last e-mail from the volunteer coordinator, in which she showed some frustration because there were no names behind the signature DiD, Wessel proposed that we sign communications with our names. The debate moved onto who should sign each communication, if only the people who voted. We arrived to the conclusion that we will open a page in the blog for names to be included, which people can sign voluntarily.

https://democracyindiem25.wordpress.com/who-are-we/

2.- Non local DSC

There are two proposals on the table First by Drakon to  approach the CC on the need to recognise non local DSCand one by Pedrojuán to approach the VC to make a proposal to the CC to recognise the digital or non local DSC. Lauri suggested that new structures, such as network collectives, national and regional organisations should also be considered.
Pj raised the question of weather the volunteer coordinator should be entitled to decide weather a group is a DSC or not.
Wessel: Urgent to have some recognition  and stated that there are two approaches: contact CC or VC.
Lauri: we should approach local DSC’s to gather support.
Wessel: 4000 people need to support, so it is more feasible to reach out to 30 members of VC
Giovanni: Physical communication is the basis of political discussion. We need to use electronic means like Mumble but it is unclear what can be done or not in these fora. People need to understand the rules.
Pj: This should not stop us from taking the necessary steps to accessing the coordinators list. We need to find the structures for the networks collective but until then non local DSC can be a step towards those networks. This is not in contradiction with getting approval for non local DSC’s to agree.
Lauri: We should not stop at this point, we should try to find new ways to organize focal groups.
Wessel: The VC must legitimate our proposals.
Philipp: we should unite efforts with the gender group which is also a non local WG.
Lauri: start working with local DSC to look for support.
Wessel: Which approach should we take?
Pj: May be manage to get the VC to sign the proposal and then send the feedback  along the lines proposed by Drakon to the CC.
Lauri: What is the power balance within the CC? Who supports grassroots democracy? We don’t have an answer to that.
Wessel: Try to get massive support is a lot of work. We have to consider what is feasible.
Pj: Elaborate the letter, have people to sign it, send it to VC, if there is more than 30% a referendum must be called.
Wessel:
1. in DiD we propose a text (simple voting procedure)
2. Informally contact the gender working group, and the DSCs we know
3. Formalising the petition
4. Collecting signatures
5. Sending the proposal to the VC

The chair (Wessel) made the following suggestion:
Propose a text (through the simple voting procedure) that is send to the VC on the following conditions: 1. support is collected from the gender WG and DSCs we know, 2. A petition is consequently organised to collect signatures from both individuals and DSCs

This proposal was approved unanimously and will start the simple voting procedure (Pj initiates)

3.- Distribution of the survey

The Survey in in the process of translation. The WG will work on a strategy to make it available in all languages.

Phil: we should reach out to reach national organizations who have national volunteer coordinators
Reach out to Coordinators list and DSC
Pj: everyone should be free to push this forward independently to try to reach as many members as possible.
Phil: we need to make sure we do not duplicate efforts in public channels.
Phil will create a strategy document
Giovanni: Should postpone action until after the treaty of Rome campaign 25 march.
Survey launch date decide for April 1st

4.- Text to send to CC about how central campaigns are decided

Ghuillerme (who initiated the proposal) was not present and nobody had really worked on it. It was noticed by Wessel that according to our procedures the proposal must be put to vote, which made clear that the simple voting procedure needs to be modified.

Text will be put to vote (Pj)

5.- Urgent communication procedure.

Pj presented the proposal to react to messages received or events suddenly affecting DiD such as being banned from the coordinators list.
Wessel: It can only be triggered by an incoming message or event. We must avoid people abusing it.
Phil: 72 hours is too long.

There was discussion on the support needed for the proposal. Three DiD members have to agree on the answer and no one veto it.

Proposal is going to put forward. (P)

No other business